Colloidal silver, function, science and user experiences!

Silver has since antiquity been used on bacterial infections and as a preservative of both water and wine. Already 400 years BC Hippocrates used silver powder on infected wounds. A colloid is a solution in which one substance of microscopically dispersed, insoluble particles is suspended throughout another substance. Milk is usually mentioned as an example of a colloid. In the case of Colloidal Silver this other substance is pure water.

This extremely fine divided form of silver creates the conditions to generate a very large surface area that effectively attack microorganisms.

Colloidal silver (CS) is composed of microscopic particles of silver and silver ions dissolved in extremely pure distilled or deinonized water. This is done in a controlled electrical process. The concentration is extremely low and a 10 ppm (parts per million) strong product is usually the best to use. 10 ppm corresponds to 10 mg silver per liter of liquid, meaning that there is a meager 1 gram of silver in every 100 liters of CS. The silver is however so finely dispersed that there are many billions of silver ions and silver nanoparticles per cubic millimeter. The more finely dispersed the silver is, the larger the total area of the silver particles will be and thereby more efficiently neutralizing fungus, bacteria, virus and parasites.

Silver in this form will interact with the microorganisms and create an electrical and chemical havoc. The microorganisms will be oxidized and unable to multiply. Silver in this minute form also carries a lot of nascent oxygen, up to 20 times its own volume, and will help oxygenize the body and also help the body’s white blood cells create super oxide radicals – something the body uses to neutralize various forms of microorganisms.

Silver is a naturally occurring mineral that only affects lower life forms negatively. In colloidal form it will effectively kill bacteria, fungus, virus and parasites (e.g. amoebaes and plasmodium (malaria)). Even intestinal worms will effectively be killed by CS. The smaller the silver particles are, the more efficient the CS is. Good CS products normally contain nanoparticles in the lower nanometer range around 3 nm – and the solution should be crystal clear and not colored at all. A CS that appears yellow in color contains nanoparticles that are larger than 10 nm and has lesser or no effect on bacteria and virus.

The safety of silver for mammalian cells is extremely high. In vivo animal studies show that not even 5 grams of pure silver per kilo of weight has any negative effects. That corresponds to 500 liters of 10 ppm strong colloidal silver per kilo of weight. A person weighing 80 kilos could theoretically consume 40,000 liters of a 10 ppm strong CS without any side effects from the silver itself. However, the water is a lot more toxic than the silver in the product, and drinking 8 liters of water in a short time will kill you. This means that the water in CS is at least 5,000 times more toxic than the silver. Luckily CS is not consumed in these high doses but rather in amounts of one or two tablespoons at a time. In therapeutic dosages, CS may be used in amounts of 100 ml several times a day. To get the best effect from oral consumtion, keep the CS under your tongue for several minutes as the silver is absorbed sublingually from your mouth directly into your blood stream. The longer you can keep the CS in your mouth, the better the effect will be.

CS may be taken orally, topically or through a nebulizer, a small medical device that will create a -fine mist/vapour of the CS. The mist may be inhaled through the nostrils to effectively combat sinusitis and if it is inhaled through the mouth, it may help getting rid of cough and pneumonia. Through the use of a spray bottle, one can spray eyes, ears, throat, cuts and burns to mention a few areas of use.

You often hear how people ignorantly claim that silver is a “toxic heavy metal”. This is completely incorrect. Most metals are actually by definition, heavy metals, but who’s going to worry about that we contain zinc, copper and iron – which actually are by definition heavy metals. The term “Heavy metal” does not say anything about the metals’ toxicity, only about its weight. Many chemists want to get rid of the term “heavy metal”, because it is nowadays almost exclusively used to scare people.

Opponents to CS draw parallels between pure silver as in CS and toxic silver salts created by dissolving silver in nitric acid. They should know better. Silver nitrate exhibits toxic, coloring and corrosive properties. CS does not and CS can therefore be consumed in large quantities with no side effects at all.

A recognized reference in the field of toxic metals, the Dartmouth Toxic Metals Research Program, writes about pure silver: “Unlike other metals such as lead and mercury, silver is not toxic to humans and is not known to cause cancer, reproductive or neurological damage, or other chronic adverse effects. Nor has normal day-to-day contact with solid silver coins, spoons or bowls been found to affect human health. This is because solid silver is almost completely biologically inert, and even if ingested, would pass through the human body without being absorbed into tissues.”

“Trace amounts of silver are in the bodies of all humans and animals. We normally take in between 70 and 88 micrograms of silver a day, half of that amount from our diet. Humans have evolved with efficient methods of dealing with that intake, however. Over 99 percent is readily excreted from the body.”

Pure silver is therefore classified as non-toxic and the body contains an effective evacuation system, which ensures that we do not collect large amounts of silver.

Silver is a chemical element found in nature and therefore there is also silver in the food we eat and the water we drink. The body needs silver in order to have a fully functioning immune system. There is a huge difference between the non-toxic silver ions generated by electrical means – and the often 30.000 times stronger toxic drug products that existed in the 1900’s and were based on nitric acid dissolved silver.

We have always received silver through our diet. The real problem – which has never been highlighted – is that we, by using chemical fertilizers, get a tenth as much silver through the diet today compared to what we got 40 years ago.

WHO (World Health Organization) and EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) has defined a NOAEL (Non Observed Adverse Effect Level) for silver – and it corresponds to 350 micrograms (mcg) of silver per day in 70 years. This is equivalent to 7 teaspoons per day of a 10 ppm strong product.

Silver has been used as a safe and effective water treatment agent for hundreds of years. More recently electrical systems that secrete silver ions into potable water that one wants to keep free from microorganisms have been developed. Large ships have since the fifties been equipped with silver ionizer which helps to keep drinking water fresh and millions of crewmen and passengers have taken advantage of silver ions effective inhibition of microorganisms.

Out in space, NASA chose silver ionizers for both the Apollo program in the 1960s and the space shuttle program that followed it. Similarly, did the Soviet Union in its space program. To argue then that silver ions are not safe to use, is a slap in the face of science and proven experience. The place where you put safety first, is certainly in space programs! Silver has since ancient times been proven time and again that it is both effective and safe for higher organisms.

Experience from all over the world proves that CS can be used for a multitude of things.